Glanville Entries in Old Records
IntroductionThis webpage links to instances of the surname GLANVILLE (and some common spelling variations) that appear in old records such as various Commercial, Trade and Residential Directories - for example Post Office Directories.
It also includes other reference Glanville material such as catalogues to various holdings.
Dates may be explicit; may define a range in which the material is referenced; may be specified in Regnal format.
I am obliged to Rick Glanvill for getting me started on
this aspect, and providing a lot of the content from his own researches.
As with all published Genealogical data, you are strongly encouraged to verify this information for yourself, from source material. This is only intended to be a guide.
Anglican Clergy listed in Crockford's Clerical Directories published between 1868 and 1932.
The following information is grouped by Location (see Navigation),
There is also Glanville PRO records transcribed from the Public Records OfficeMore records are available on the next page
Ancient West Country FamiliesThis is a partial transcription of the book:- Ancient Westcountry Families
Their Armorial Bearings
A story of the old nobility and gentry
of Devon and Cornwall
With notes on their lives
their manor-houses and their charities
by B.H. Williams Penzance
New and second-hand bookseller, publisher, etc.
112a and 112b Market Jew Street
1916 Glanville of Tavistock pages 93 - 96 RANDOLF DE GLANVILLE, or Glanvile, Edward III Roll, bore, or, a chief indented with four points azure, as given in Jenyns' Ordinary. Mr. Shirley quotes a Glanville of Catchfrench, circa 1400, who bore for arms : Azure, three saltires, or. Another Glanville, sive Ekont, Henry III Roll, bore, azure, crusily three crescents argent. Mr. Shirley probably refers to an ancestor of that Glanvilles of Catchfrench, as the family did not own that estate until about the year 1728. The author of "The Worthies of Devon," in his article on Sir John Glanville, the judge, says : "He was a native of this county (Devon), born in the famous town of Tavistock, being the third son of John Glanville, merchant, of that place, which John descended from Halwel House, in the parish of Whitechurch, not far from the town aforesaid, the most ancient dwelling of this family, in this shire, having been in the name for more than three hundred years, as by deeds relating to that estate may be seen, and still so continueth." Burke says : "The Glanvilles, after a sojourn of three hundred years at Halwell, were removed to their more splendid mansion of Killworthy by Sir John Glanville, Kt., Judge of the Common Pleas." Continuing from Prince, we read : "How ancient and honourable this name hath been in England, they who in the least are acquainted with the histories and antiquities cannot be ignorant. Ranulph de Glanvile was a great man in William the Conqueror's time, and his grandson of the same name was a greater in the days of King Henry the Second, for he was a baron of Parliament, and at that time so well skilled in the laws of the realm that he was one of the justices itinerant, who were sent by the King into the counties of Nottingham, Derby, York, etc., in the 25th year of his reign. And in the year after this he was advanced to the highly honourable office of Justice of all England." In a pedigree of the Glanville family in the College of Arms, which is supported by external evidences, the Lord Chief Justice, Ranulph de Glanville, was the son of Sir Henry de Glanville, called "Chamberlain to King Stephen," and who commanded the men of Norfolk and Suffolk at the siege of Lisbon in 1147, and a great man in those counties, and grandson of Ranulph de Glanville, "Sire de Glanville," one of the commanders of the Archers du Val du Real and Bretheul at the battle of Hastings. In 1054, he attested a charter of William Pichnot to the Abbey of St. Michael's Mount, and is named in the charter of the great Robert Malet to Eye Priory, to whom he was related. The Lord Chief Justice, had, with others, a brother, Sir Gerald de Glanville, who was a Baron of England at the coronation of Richard I (1189) : "Ranulphus de Glanvilla Just' Aug' et Geraldus de Glanvilla frater ipius (Benedicti Abbitas' 80). Sir Gerald, by his wife Emma, daughter of Sir Thomas de Cukeney, of Welbeck, and founder of its abbey, had issue (1) Roger de Glanville, who was a witness to his brother Henry's grant to Osbert de Bradlie; (2) Emma, who married Willm de Stutevill, a powerful Baron, and (3) Sir Henry de Glanville, Lord of Wooton (afterwards called Wooton Glanville), a parish about 6 miles from Sherborne, Co. Dorset, and also holder of other lands in Co. Somerset. circa 1215. By Philippa (de Gant), his wife ("Henry de Glanville et Philippa ux' ejus" Abb' Rot' Orig'). The arms of Glanville and Gant were to be seen at Richard's Castle (History of the Hervey Family). Sir Henry had, with other issue, Geoffrey de Glanville, Lord of Wooton Glanville, who answered to a call of arms of all those who "habent 15 lib' terra et ten' per serv' mil' et milites" etc. (Claudius MS Dorset, i, ii). Geoffrey married Alianor, and was father by her, of John de Glanville, Lord of Wooten Glanville, who was returned for the counties of Dorset and Somerset 1297, John was paid "twelve pence" "in recognitionem" by Osbert de Bradlei for lands in Knole which his grandparents Henry and Philippa, along with his father Geoffrey, had granted to the aforesaid Osbert ("History of Dorset"). In 103, in which year he died, he also held "Mordone,"Dorset, of the Earl of Gloucester (Feudal Aids). By Katherine his wife he had : (1) Sir John de Glanville, priest, who was instituted to the Rectory of Ashcombe, Devon, 16th July, 1349 (Reg' of Bishop of Exeter), and (2) Sir Henry de Glanville, Kt., Lord of Wooton Glanville, etc., who in 1316, received a military writ of summons as Lord of Wooton Glanville and other properties (Military Writs). He is also named in the Feudal Aids. Sir Henry died in or about 1325-6, for on the 6th April, 1326, Isabel his wife presented a rector to Wooton Glanville church during the minority of their son. They had three sons : (1) William who succeeded to Wooton Glanville circa 1330, his wife, Sibyll, founded the chapel within Wooton church, 1345 ("Hist' of Dorset," etc. etc.). Their son John presented a rector to the said church as patron 1396, and died without leaving male issue, and hence Wooton Glanville passed out of the Glanville family. (2) Robert de Glanville was Prior of Cowick Abbey, near Exeter, and died in 1382. (3) John de Glanville (John son of Henry de Glanville, Close Rolls, 1330) served under the Black Prince in the Spanish War, 1365. He was "the first of Holwell in Whitchurch." This estate of Holwell was at an early date the property of the de Wykes or Wikes ; John, son of Lawrence de Wyke or Wike, by Amicia, daughter of Sir Amias Speccott, Kt., is described as of "Holliwell, near Tavistock." John Wyke or Wike, Canon of Lincoln," entered into a statute with his uncle Edward - brother of the first-named John de Wike - which 'Statute' Sir John D'Abernoun bought of the said Edward" (Pole). In 1354, the said John D'Abernoun, of Bradford, Devon, had permission to grant certain properties or estates, rents, etc., in Devon, to the Abbot and Convent of Tavistock, amongst these was that "of Holyewille" in Whitchurch (Inq'ad quod damnum). From the Abbot and Convent of Tavistock, Holwell passed to the said John Glanville, who married Alice, daughter of Thomas le Wrey, of Wrey, Co. Devon, and by her had several children as follows : (1) Henry Glanville, of Woodleigh, Devon, who brought a curious Chancery suit against Sir Richd. Champernowne for assault in 1393 (E.C.P. Bundles iii and vii, Nos. 21, 12). He, Henry, was also sued for certain lands in Hwysshe, Devon, in 1403 (De Banco Rolls, in 429). (2) Richard Glanville, one of the executors of the will of John Bevule, Esq., 1438, also in 1432, a plaintiff in an action for debt against Roger Page, of Devon (Cal' of Patent Rolls). (3) Thomas Glanville, Canon of Plympton, Devon 1419 (Bishop of Exeter's Reg'), (4) Robert, (5) Nicholas Glanville, priest, ordained at Plympton St Mary, 28th August, 1414, (6) George, (7) Agnes, who married three times, and (8) John Glanville, son and heir of Holwell. in 1405, he was a defendant in a suit brought against him by Walter Leigh and Isabel his wife, touching a trespass in Devon, but, although John did not appear before the King to answer the said complaint, he received a pardon dated from Westminster 5th July, 1405 (Cal' of Patent Rolls). By his wife, Margaret, daughter of John Southcotte, he was father of (1) John, (2) Nicholas, (3) Robert. John, the elder son succeeded to Holwell. John was a defendant in an early Chancery proceeding (Bundle 323,36) respecting detention of deeds relating to lands in St. Stephen's, Launceston. He married Emma Courtenay, of Newetown, by whom he was father of (1) Nicholas, (2) Rev. Robert Glanville, Vicar of Holberton, Devon, 1557, (3) Thomas Glanville, Prior to St. Mary Magdalen, Tavistock, who brought a suit in the Star Chamber against the Abbot of Tavistock (Bundle xxix, 157). Nicholas, the elder son, suceeded to Holwell and married Katherine, daughter of Thomas Preston, and had (1) Thomas of Holwell, which estate remained in the Glanville family until 1790, when it was sold by Julius Glanville on 4th May to John Moore Knighton, Eqs., having been in the family for over 400 years, (2) Walter, who died in 1545, (3) John Glanville, of Tavistock, father by Thomasine his wife, daughter of Thomas Browne, of Judge Glanville. Glanville of Catchfrench pages 97 - 100 According to Prince's account, Sir John Glanville, the judge, left his estates to Sir John Glanville, Serjeant-at-Law, his second son. He says : " This gentleman's father had a fair estate which he intended to have settled on his eldest son ; but he proving a vicious young man, and there appearing no hopes of his recovery, the old gentleman settled it on this Sir John, the younger son. Upon his father' death, the eldest son, finding that which he had before looked upon as but the threatenings of an angry parent, was now too surely come to pass, became melancholy, and that by degrees wrought so great a change on him that what his father could not prevail in while he lived, was now effected by the severity of his last will and testament after he was dead. His brother, Sir John, observing the reality of the change, resolved in himself what do do. So he called him, with many of his friends, together to a feast ; and after other dishes had been served up to the dinner, he ordered one that was covered to be set before his brother ; and desired him to uncover it. Which he doing, the company was surprised to find it full of writings. Whereupon Sir John told them that he was now about to do what he was sure his father would have done had he lived to see the happy change which they now all saw in his brother, and therefore he here freely restored to him the whole estate. A mighty example of a generous and just disposition." Sir Francis Glanville, of Tavistock, Kt., eldest son of Judge Glanville, was J.P. and D.L. for Devon, M.P. for Tavistock 1620-25-28, and who died in 1638-9, and was buried at Tavistock, married Elizabeth, the daughter of William Crymes, of Buckland Monachorum, in 1604, by whom he had seven daughter and a surviving son, Francis Glanville, of Kilworthy, who married Mary, the daughter of Henry Rolle, of Heanton, and died without issue in 1658, when his estates passed to his sister's daughter, Mrs. Ambrose Maneton. Sir John Glanville, Serjeant-at-Law, knighted at Whitehall 7th August, 1641, second son of Judge Glanville, purchased the manor of Broadhinton, Wilts. He was Recorder of Plymouth, and as a burgess, represented that borough in several Parliaments. He was also M.P. for Liskeard in the reign of James I, and was elected Speaker of the House of Commons in 1640. He was active in promoting the cause of Charles I, and when the King was forced to leave Parliament, he followed him to Oxford, where he continued to render His Majesty good service. In 1645, he was himself excluded from the House, and soon afterwards imprisoned in the Tower, where he remained over two years. A find of £10,0000 was exacted to procure his liberation and to prevent the confiscation of his estates. In all, he suffered imprisonment six several times. Sir John, is written of as a man of great talents, an excellent orator, a great lawyer, and an ornament of his profession. He wrote many legal treatises, and during the Commonwealth, was chosen burgess to represent the University of Oxford in Parliament, and on the Restoration was appointed Premier-Serjeant by Kings Charles II. He married Winifred, daughter of Sir William Bouchier, of Barnsley, Gloucester, by whom he was the father of four sons. Sir John died in the year 1661, and was buried in the church of Broadhinton. William Glanville, his eldest son, of Broadhinton, died in 1680, leaving no surviving male issue. Francis Glanville, second son, lieutenant-colonel in the Royal Army, was killed at the siege of Bridgwater in 1645, at the age of twenty-eight. John Glanville, third son, barrister-at-law, succeeded his brother at Broadhinton. He married Catherine, the daughter of Sir Edmund Fortescue, of Fallopit, Bart., by whom, with other issue, he had two sons, John and Edward Glanville, who at his death in 1738 left numerous descendants, who mostly resided at Ashburton, amongst who was Thomas Glanville Taylor, Astronomer, F.R.C.S., F.R.A.S., etc., who sister Susanna, married the Rev. William Richards, M.A. Vicar of Dawby Magna, and left descendants. John Glanville, eldest son, died without issue in 1715. He sold Broadhinton and resided at Putney. Julius Glanville, of Ham, Surrey, fourth son of Sir John, and a barrister-at-law, married Ann Bagnall, by whom he had, with other issue, including Elizabeth, lady of the manor of Clavency, two sons, John and Julius. John Glanville, barrister-at-law, purchased Catchfrench, in Cornwall, in 1728, and died unmarried in 1735, at the age of seventy-one. In Lake's "Parochial History of Cornwall" we read of the manor of Catchfrench, a name probably derived from the Norman-French chasse franche, descriptive of an unenclosed hunting ground, intermediate between a forest and a park. "Catchfrench is said to have anciently belonged to the Talverns of Talverne, in Northill, from whom it passed by a female heir to Kekewich, of Salop, who settled here. George Kekewich, who resided at this place in Carew's days, rebuilt the mansion, and some parts recently standing (this was written about 1860) bore the words 'George Kekewyche, 1580.' The present mansion was built on the site of the old one by the late Francis Glanville ; a small portion of the ancient mansion remains. The manor of Catchfrench continued in the Kekewich family until the time of Charles II, when it was sold by John Kekewich to Hugh Boscawen, of Tregothnan, whose daughter and heir, Bridget, carried it in marriage to Hugh Fortesque, of Filleigh, Devon." At, or about this time it is said to have been in the possession of the Hon. Francis Robartes, in the right of his lady, the Hon. Lady Anne Fitzgerald, widow of William Boscawen, her freehold for life (Hals). Mr. Tonkin observes that on the death of old Mr. Boscawen, this place came to his only daughter, Mrs Fortescue, whose son Hugh Fortescue, afterwards became 14th Baron Clinton, and who sold Catchfrench to Julius Glanville in the year 1728. Julius Glanville Citizen and Merchant Taylor of London, fourth son of Julius Glanville, married Martha Corderoy in 1689, and died prior to the year 1709. Of his sons, two only left issue, viz. Walter Glanville, whose descendants resided at Plymouth, and Sir John Glanville, eldest Son, born in 1696, who inherited Catchfrench from his uncle John. Sir John Glanville was High Sheriff of Cornwall in 1753, and died in 1769, having been married twice. By his first wife Elizabeth, the daughter of William Andrew, he had a son, John, who pre-deceased him without issue. By his second wife, Mary, the daughter of Mr. L. McNiel, of Barbados, he had a son, Francis Glanville, who succeeded to Catchfrench. Francis Glanville, J.P. and D.L. for Cornwall, High Sheriff for the same county in 1793, was M.P. for Malmesbury in 1794, and for Plymouth from 1797 to 1802. He married, first, Sarah, youngest daughter and co-heir of William Masterman, of Restormal Park, by whom he had an only daughter, Loveday Sarah, who married in 1814 W.G.F. Booker, grandson of the Duke of Gordon, who assumed the name of Gregor on inheriting through his wife the estates of the Gregor family of Trewarthenick. He married, secondly, Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Fanshawe, R.N., for many years Commissioner of Plymouth Dockyard, by whom he had six sons, and three daughters. Both he and his wife died at Great Marlow, Bucks, where they lie buried in the churchyard. Francis Glanville, J.P., D.L., elder son, succeeded his father at Catchfrench. He married Amabel, daughter of the Right Hon. Reginald Pole-Carew, of Antony House, by whom he had other issue, General Francis Glanville, late R.A., of Catchfrench, and Leigham-street, Plymouth, who married Dona Maria, daughter of Don Francico Carreras, of Gibraltar, by whom he had six sons and four daughters, of whom the elder son is Major-General Francis Glanville, D.S.O. of the Royal Engineers.
Page Created: 12-Feb-2001
Page Modified: 2-Oct-2019